Superbudgie Blog

Monday, January 15, 2007

ARE MY GENDER THOUGHTS WRONG?


It seems that after more of my tests, observations & info from books, my birds may have different genders than my thoughts...

(look at their ceres, it's a deep blue. That means male)>>

Just like the subtitle said, after my tests, observations & info from books, Molly & Sasha may be different than what I thought. The best way of telling the sex of a budgie is of course, looking at their cere (nose). Over these days I've been saying that Sasha's a male & Molly's a female. Well today, it looks like I mixed up the colors of ceres. It actually looked most likely to me that Molly & Sasha are both males. I just saw it in a book, "The male's cere is a deep blue," just like Molly's & Sasha's ceres. Their actions also matter a lot for determining the sex of budgies. In the early days, females tend to be more aggresive, bite harder & take more time than males to get used to you. Molly does bite hard (today when I gave her a bath, she bit me hard & I got some skin cuts), but she got used to me right away, unlike Sasha. The book said that there's a rumor that male budgies have better vocalization than females. Both Sasha & Molly sing very well, so there's another chance of being both males. And about Sasha's female side, she didn't get used to me for a long time & still has a bit of 'no trust' for me. Well, it will remain a mystery until we actually go to a vetranarian & give Molly & Sasha blood tests. Maybe it's a new gender, maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong. Who knows? We'll find out in another article.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think thought they were both females at first,but now i think sasha is a female and molly is a male.

Monday, January 15, 2007 3:49:00 PM  
Blogger Birdbuddy (NeuBuddy) said...

I love getting thoughts from other people, especially on the internet. At first my dad even thought they were females, but I never heard the thought of sasha being a female & Molly being a male. Maybe you're right, maybe not. Anyway, I appreciate it that I get other thoughts & great ones too!

Monday, January 15, 2007 4:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hope your birds are what you think, then it would be cool!

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 8:21:00 PM  
Blogger Birdbuddy (NeuBuddy) said...

Me too. Even though it might be cool if they were both males, I personally think that it would be better for a pair. I mean male & female. But your personal opinion is a great one. Thanks for the comment, kim!

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 8:23:00 PM  
Blogger natasha said...

Hi Brent This is Natasha from the piano recital. Your web sites are very cool. I sent you an e-mail. Please read it. E-mail has my mom's name on it but I just used her site to write to you. Good buy. Take care Natasha

Thursday, January 25, 2007 12:35:00 PM  
Blogger Birdbuddy (NeuBuddy) said...

Hey Natasha! Thanks for the comment. I surely will read the e-mail you sent me! Well, even though you should write a comment about the article, thanks for the comment! I hope you post more comments.

Thursday, January 25, 2007 3:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi brent.since you did not post for a while, i wanted to know how your birds are doing.

Sunday, January 28, 2007 1:01:00 PM  
Blogger Birdbuddy (NeuBuddy) said...

Well, my birds are doing fine, like they always are. They're eating seeds, playing with specific toys, etc. Well, I know I didn't post for a while. There's nothing really to post about because everything here is normal. Well, thanks for the comment, but please leave your real name. Thanks!

Monday, January 29, 2007 4:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it hard to tell if it's a boy or girl?

Friday, February 02, 2007 8:51:00 PM  
Blogger Birdbuddy (NeuBuddy) said...

Well, it's pretty easy to tell the gender. Usually, the cere starts turning different colors at 1-2 years of age. And like I mentioned in the article, the way they act can have a great effect on genders. But just being simple, it's pretty easy telling the gender. (Not in my case) But thanks for the comment! :)

Sunday, February 04, 2007 10:06:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I looked on my budgie's cere before it looked light blue but then later it was sorta deep blue. Help!

Saturday, February 10, 2007 7:24:00 PM  
Blogger Birdbuddy (NeuBuddy) said...

That's a great question Faith! I heard in a book that budgies cere's are a specific color in their first months. I think it was light purple/light blue. And I heard that after that stage, a budgies cere turns the mature color (like I mentioned in the article). Maybe that's the answer to your question. Thanks for the great question!

Sunday, February 11, 2007 4:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When do budgies mature so you could check their gender?

Monday, February 26, 2007 7:37:00 PM  
Blogger Birdbuddy (NeuBuddy) said...

Well, I'm not exactly sure when budgies actually mature at all. I think I read in a book that most budgies mature after they're one year old. Maybe not. You'll probably know when budgies mature because I described cere colors at maturity. Anyways, thanks for the comment Faith!!

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 7:47:00 PM  
Anonymous lee said...

ha ha ha ur birds are gay!!!!!!

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 1:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home